Wednesday, September 17, 2008

I don't Know What To Do!

This is Taegan sitting at her desk in her room for timeout. I decided to make her sit there for getting her card pulled again at school. She screamed for the first 5 minutes and then got really mad at me when I tried to take her picture. I told her she had to stay in timeout until she can stop screaming and stay in her desk. Then about 30 seconds after that she calmed down enough for me to talk to her. I wanted her to understand why she had to sit there and that from now on if she gets her card pulled at school then she will come home and have a timeout. She has had her card pulled at school like six or seven times now. She has to sit on the wall for detention during recess all the time. The worst part is that she doesn't care, it doesn't bother her. One day she even put herself in detention and sat on the wall when she didn't need to. She isn't being mean, she's just not listening or not doing what she's asked. She is usually a pretty good kid at home, she isn't like a problem child or anything. It really surprises me, I know every parent thinks their kids are good and doesn't do anything wrong. Well that's not me, I know my kids can act up but usually when its someone else disciplining them they will listen. She never got into trouble at preschool and I just assumed it would have been the same in kindergarten. Maybe in preschool they were too easy on her. I have tried talking to her and telling her this is a big kid school and she has to listen to her teacher and other adults and do what she is asked to do. I've told her if she gets her card pulled too many times then she will get kicked out of school and she said she doesn't want that. I tell her how sad it makes me that she keeps getting into trouble at school and can she try to be better for me, and she says she is going to be good and not get her card pulled anymore. I am now putting her in timeout when she comes home from school if she had her card pulled. But its been twice now and as I said the first time she hated it, then the second time she went right in and sat down and she was so quiet that I actually forgot about her. Our older 3 girls have never had their cards pulled, they do what their told and always get their homework in on time. I guess I was just lucky with the older 3, my mom said every family has to have one bad kid, well she's it! Maybe we babied her too much and its our fault she acts the way she does. I don't know what else to do with her, if you have any suggestions please feel free to comment.




This is after she calmed down a bit,
she let me take her picture.







6 comments:

Angie Thompson said...

I had the same trouble with Robert (for different reasons). Anyway, it got so that I was always punishing him and the poor kindergartner was like a prisoner - I found that if I offered a treat for the good days rather than a punishment for the bad days, the bad days just disappeared (for Robert candy worked well). Have fun!

Katie and Luke said...

I consulted my husband on this one. Since he is an elementary school principal he always seems to have better answers than me. His first response was: The punishment must not be harsh enough because its not bothering her enough to change her behavior. BUT he also pointed out that if she is getting her cards pulled so much at school, the teacher may not be doing her part. By that he means, her expectations cannot be met. It also depends on what she is getting her card pulled for. The teacher could be "overreacting." I know my husband has instilled in me that kids should respect the teacher no matter what and parents should respect their child's teacher first and ask questions later.....But---that doesn't mean that you shouldn't question the teacher on what is going on in the classroom. If your baby angel is simply making bad choices and not feeling bad about it, you might want to consider a different consequence/punishment.

This is Dr. Katie signing off! LOL

Katie and Luke said...

After my previous long winded response I was going to say hat we started a "Star Chart" for our boys about 6 months ago and it has been working well. Everyhing has a star value. When they reach a certain point they can purchase a toy/treat. If the boys have a good day at school they get one star.

Toni said...

Hi Mom I like your blog im commeting you cause I have no friends

Toni said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Karrie said...

Oh- good luck with that. Sounds like you are doing a good job already.